Toxics & Pesticides
Tougher Protection from Toxics
- Toughen protection from toxics by:
- Committing to aggressive targets for reductions in the use, creation and release of toxics;
- Committing to the goal of comprehensive coverage of toxics, not limited to a set number of toxics or industries;
- Including mandatory substitution of safer alternatives for toxic substances in production processes;
- Establishing an independent, academically based institute to build capacity to meet the requirements of toxics reduction, safe substitution and green chemistry. This would include support to businesses, employees and communities.
- Ensure public right to know about toxics in their environment, workplaces and products by:
- Collecting all necessary toxics data and making it available in a readily searchable format;
- Making data available that is collected under the Toxics Reduction Act and all other environmental legislation; and,
- Identifying toxic content in products through labelling or by other understandable means.
- Strengthen Cosmetic Pesticides Ban
- Commit to supporting full implementation of the Cosmetic Pesticides Act and regulations.
- Commit sufficient resources to enforcing the Cosmetic Pesticides Act and regulations.
- Phase out the exemption of golf courses from the pesticide ban in the Cosmetic Pesticides Act.